Start Date: 21 Ches 1493 (10:30am)
- Aaron Briarhill – Halfling Warlock/Bard (played by Kirk G.)
- Eleindar Olaren – Elven Rogue (played by Cameron K.)
- Erky Timbers – Gnome Cleric to Lathander (NPC)
- Galadhon the Wanderer – Elven Ranger (played by Paco C.)
- Houblon – Dwarven Fighter (played by Matt R.)
- Zarn Gormish – Half-Orc Barbarian (played by Ted B.)
As the party begins to explore the village of Nightstone, notice a large group of goblins south of the town square near the destroyed bridge that once joined the village to the keep. As the group assembles for battle, their Half-Orc Barbarian friend Zarn Gormish lumbers over the western drawbridge into town. As he sees the goblins gather for battle, Zarn pulls a pair of matching hand axes from his belt and says, “Good. Got here in time.”. The goblins, realizing they have superior numbers, take up defensive positions and drive the party to cover. Arrows hit Houblon and Galadhon. Aaron uses his Wand of Entangle to snare two goblins on a nearby hill, then casts a minor illusion of a boulder for cover.
A small party of goblins moves under cover of buildings to flank the party. Eleindar recognizes them, casting a sleep spell that incapacitates 3 of them. The goblins drive him back with arrows and close for combat.
Zarn rushes a small group of goblins hiding behind a boulder firing bows. His first handaxe cleaves a goblin skull, and the next dispatches another goblin. The third goblin runs, only be killed on the drawbridge by a crossbow bolt from Erky.
Houblon closes for combat; Eleindar desperately uses his rapier to defend himself. Aaron casts Eldritch Blast at any goblin he can see, and Galadhon begins to find targets with his longbow. The goblins begin to wither under the attacks of the more experienced party, and the tide turns quickly. Soon all the goblins who fought lie dead. The group explore some of the buildings, and wonder why they are not finding any villagers.
As the party examines the destroyed bridge to the keep, they find a puny goblin tied to the end of a rope hanging over the water. Speaking Goblinoid, Aaron determines his name is Xilb, and the rest of the goblins had bullied him to try and get across the remanents of the bridge. Unable to swing across, the goblins laughed and called him “bait” as they dangled him over the water. The group saves him. Using his Mage Hand spell, Cameron moves a rope to the other bridge and back. The party secures the rope and make their way to the keep. They find half of the gatehouse destroyed and two of the keep towers reduced to rubble. Looking at the damage, Galadhon realizes the boulders used to destroy the buildings were not delivered by catapults but were dropped straight down. Exploring the keep, the party finds 4 guards arguing near the body of a richly dressed woman. Talking to the guards, they discover the body is Lady Velrosa Nandar (the lady they were sent to talk to by Kerowyn Hucrele of Oakhurst). From the guards they learn the following:
- Nightstone was bombarded by rocks dropped from a giant castle in the sky. The keep was cut off from the village when a rock tore away part of the bridge.
- With nowhere to hide, the people in the village lowered the drawbridge and fled north. In the event of an attack, the villagers are supposed to retreat to the keep; with the bridge out, that was no longer an option.
- North of Nightstone, about a mile away, are some bat caves. The villagers probably hid there.
- Several guards stationed in the village fled north with the villagers.
- Once the villagers had fled, four pale-skinned giants descended from the sky, uprooted the nightstone in the village square, and took it back to their castle. The cloud castle left soon thereafter, drifting eastward.
- Lady Nandar was in the great hall when the roof collapsed. She was buried under the rubble and died before anyone could reach her.
The adventurers and 2 of the guards look for some documentation of next of kin for Lady Nandar. In doing so they have to fight a Flying Sword construct that Lady Nandar used to protect her valuables. Searching, they find letters from a niece in Waterdeep by the name of Siena Latroy. They also find correspondence from an aunt named Sharene.
Zarn takes some of the beams from the destroyed towers to lay across the bridge. Exploring some of the other buildings, they find the body of a goblin with an arrow in its chest in the damaged Nightstone Inn.
End of Session.
End Date: 21 Ches 1493 (1:00pm)